Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Be Very Careful with iPhone Mobile Provisioning

I have a new Mac Book Pro and have screwed it up twice by not carefully following instructions. I have been developing for iPhone with my iMac and wanted to be able to do the same on the MBP. At the end of both attempts my MBP could not see the iPhone, not even in iTunes. A reload of OS-X will bring the devices back, but may have other consequenses. I ultimately re-imaged my system and started over. Read on to avoid my pain.

The secret is to carefully, slowly follow the instructions.

This is super high level description, please read the Apple links below, they have the step-by-step instructions

These operations in the following order worked for me:
  1. Import private key for certificate - installed private key (double click *.p12 - add to login)
  2. Import certificate - installed cert - double click on *.cer - add to login
  3. Import mobile provision - drag and drop .mobileprovision file on to the xcode icon on the doc
Hints: store the above three files some where safe from destruction and prying hands. (Apple suggests an encrypted DMG)



I followed these steps:
1. Get your private key: http://developer.apple.com/iPhone/library/documentation/Xcode/Conceptual/iphone_development/128-Managing_Devices/devices.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/TP40007959-CH4-SW8
2. Dev Certificate and Mobile provision: http://developer.apple.com/iPhone/library/documentation/Xcode/Conceptual/iphone_development/128-Managing_Devices/devices.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/TP40007959-CH4-SW42

1 comment:

  1. You know your projects stand out of the herd. There is something special about them. It seems to me all of them are really brilliant!
    sell used ipads

    ReplyDelete